Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Bulimia Update: One Year Later

Trigger warning: ED behaviours.

Today this memory popped up on my facebook feed.

Bulimia Update, January 17, 2016.

It's been a whole year.  It's bizarre to realize how far I've come and how much has happened.  At the time I said that going 4 days purge-free was common, that I'd even had a couple purge-free weeks.  Now it's weeks and months that are common.  In the past 3 months it's happened once.  It's no longer a daily struggle.  Yes the thoughts do enter my mind, but I've learned how to deal with them.  It doesn't mean it is never a struggle.  There are days - especially those alone days.

Still - most of the time, I'm fine.  Why?  First of all, I've been on medication for almost 2 years, and that has helped enormously.  I've also been in therapy on and off, and that has also been a huge blessing.  I learned more healthy coping mechanisms.  I came out.  Let me tell you, the amount of stress and pain from being closeted is absolutely monumental.  Unspeakable!  So while there was a lot of pain and struggle that was born of coming out, it was the beginning of the end of the constant inner pain.

So today, I press on, learning more about myself, my world, grateful for the progress I have made because, to quote myself a year ago,

"I'm making progress.  Yes, there is hope.  It is possible to overcome.  But it's a journey, it's not just a single step."

Another step has been taken, and I'm so grateful.

-Sheila

1 comment:

  1. I also have a friend who dealt with an eating disorder. It can be a hard thing to overcome, but I am glad that you found the support that you needed to deal with the struggles that you had in life. There is always something more important to live for and to fight for every day.

    ReplyDelete